See my Flickr page!

www.flickr.com
jbf7934's items Go to jbf7934's photostream

Friday, October 28, 2011

Random-Notes-That-Must-Be-Posted


-On Wednesday (26th), we play some intense volleyball, where the stakes were loser buys dinner. Doesn't sound so bad, but I discover 50 people are gonna be in attendance at this restaurant. We go straight to the place, which seems fairly upscale to me, and the tables are already set up with everything (meat, side dishes, soju, beer, the works). I finally get to be taken to dinner with all Koreans, to really get the dinner experience. Obviously, conversation on my part is limited to pointing, laughing, crying from soju, and cheers-ing. On a side note, we have been trying to find places to eat that have pictures, that way we can get some idea of what we're ordering. Other than that, up until recently that is, we have resorted to caveman-like grunting and pointing for our food, although cavemen probably had it easier. All they had to do was make fires and kill saber tooth tigers. Oh, to be a caveman....How glorious. Now, we can read the language, and look up pretty successfully what the item is. Anyway, the coworker dinner was awesome. On the meat platter was the below-mentioned samgyopsal (pork slices), and duck slices. Both meats were fantasmic, and there was more than plenty to go around. They must have slaughtered half of Korea's livestock to feed this bunch. The soju aspect is interesting. Korean custom basically dictates that you offer someone a shot glass, if they accept, you pour. They drink. They make a distorted face from the taste. They look for a chaser. Something to wash the taste away. Chaser is nonexistent. "Oh no!" says their face. They now are legally allowed to force a shot glass into your hands (I don't make the rules), to deliver a counterattack. Now for me, pretty sure I was taken advantage of, because I know for a fact the same guy got me to take shots on multiple occasions, but always just happened to have a full shot in his possession before my return hit. I'll get him one day. I guarantee it.

-There's a dog chained up somewhere close outside, who apparently is the loneliest dog on the planet. Some nights I hear him howling until 5 a.m., but it threw me off at first, because it doesn't sound like a howl, but more like a frightened cow lowing in the barn. Seriously, when Malia and I heard it the first time, we were freaking out, thinking a Korean ghost was haunting us (It had to be a Korean ghost, because American ghosts don't howl like that. They go "ooOOooo, woogidy, woogidy, woogidy"). Well, she was scared, I wasn't. I laugh in the face of danger, hahahahaa (which movie, guys?)!

-This country and I have something very important in common-we love to eat. There are restaurants EVERYWHERE, at least I think they're restaurants since I can't technically read any signs to know for sure. The only food signs I have down pat are samgyopsal 삼겹살 and soegogisal 소고기살, my two favorite things to eat so far. Both are barbecued at the center of your table, first one being pork belly, the latter tender strips of lowing cow. Both are wrapped in lettuce leaves, topped with ssamjang (a sweet/spicy red pepper paste), garlic, and seasoned leeks or green onion. You fold the lettuce over and over until you have a manageable bite, then have at it. Despite what you may read (I've read opposing views), Koreans love taking huge bites and talking with mouths stuffed full. I was lucky enough to be invited for dinner at my co-teach's house. Everyone was there to meet me, even Grandma made an appearance. Food was astounding, some sort of Korean burrito; cheese, meat, pineapple, apple, tomato, noodles, spicy sauce, lettuce wrapped in rice paper. I had about 9 burritos (I was racing her uncle, a 6 foot 4 former Seoul University basketball player). They just kept throwing food on my plate, and loved watching me eat. Reminds me of Mamaw!

-There's quite a difference between observed traffic laws in Korea and the US. Although most of drivers in the ole colonies like to pick and choose which laws they want to toss out the window, the majority, I would think, hope really, come to a halt at a red light. This is not so in Korea. I think it's acceptable driving etiquette to breeze right through the light if it looks "clear", and i put clear in quotations because sometimes their ideas of clear are far from it (if you're crossing the street, during a red light, you have the right away, right? nahhh, some cars, mostly taxis, seem to miss seeing you there.). I guess the absence of police here lets people know it's alright. It somehow works, though. I haven't seen any accidents whatsoever, no dead bodies on crosswalks either.

-On a more solemn note: Two of my classes have students with learning disabilities, and I wasn't able to pinpoint what the deal was for a while. To be honest, I still don't know what the issues are, but nevertheless, something is missing. One kid, a 6th grader, is unable to speak. Not sure if he's mute, can't speak English, or just chooses not to try. One of my more advanced students told me he had some issues, but I am not sure how much faith I can put into a 12 year old, even one as smart as this kid. In my 4th grade class, there are two students that are constantly behind, and I can bet that's how it's going to stay, as there seems to be absolutely no initiative present. One of 'em has an English speech impediment, and can hardly get the words out, let alone get them out coherently. The other kid will not stay seated, at all. I only think he'll be somewhat calm if the co-teach is in the room, and even then he's in and out of the classroom. This same kid bothers me all throughout the day, and insists on trying to hug me and hold my hand. By the way, most of the co-teachers that are supposed to be in the rooms to help out disappear, I guess as soon as it looks like I have everything under control, which sometimes is after 5 minutes. After observing him a little more (i.e. just a minute ago I watched some of the kids playing soccer outside, pesky kid included. He had ball control, speed, somewhat focus, and seemed to be getting along fine.), I am thinking he has severe ADD. Overly diagnosed I know, but I am a doctor so I am fairly confident in myself.
Hyopo Elementary School
RJ, Steve, and Malia in RJ's hometown Chungju.


Whoaaa so artsy. Found this dandy while hiking in Chungju.

Two of my 5th graders.

No comments:

Post a Comment